Suny Turkey
Suny Türkiye Suny Türkiye Suny Türkiye Suny Türkiye

Frequently Asked Questions / Frequently Asked Questions for Dual Diploma Programs


1-What is a dual diploma program?

A dual diploma program is an undergraduate program in which students spend half of their education at a campus of the State University of New York (SUNY) and half at a Turkish university. At the end of the program, students receive a diploma from each university. 


2-Who can enroll in the dual diploma programs?

Turkish students must complete the national university entrance exams (TYT-YKS) and achieve the minimum score to place into the dual diploma programs. Non-Turkish students can place into the dual diploma programs in accordance with universities’ admission criteria. You can view the list of the criteria from YOK’s website:


3- How can I place into a dual diploma program?

First you must complete the university entrance exam (TYT) followed by the university placement exam (YKS). Based on the placement scores, submit to ÖSYM a list of your preferred higher education programs. The dual diploma programs are listed in ÖSYM’s booklet. ÖSYM utilizes the placement scores and students’ preferences to place students into higher education programs. Some dual diploma programs implement a minimum score requirement. 


4-What are the benefits of receiving a dual diploma vs. studying only at a Turkish university?

By studying in two different universities, students receive a diploma from each partner; one from a distinguished American university and the other one from a distinguished Turkish university. Students develop excellent language skills as they study in English at a university in Turkey and as they live and study on a campus in the United States. The programs allow students to experience two distinctively different cultures. Upon completing the degree, students are well-prepared to work in a multi-cultural environment and to function effectively in an international arena.


5-What are the minimum scores required to place into the dual diploma programs? 

The minimum scores are published in the “ÖSYM Kontenjanlar Kılavuzu” annually. To see the previous scores you can visit here


6-What is the minimum quota for the dual diploma programs?

The number of the quotas varies. To see the quotas for the past years, you can visit here


7-Is it possible to transfer from other departments of the same university into the dual diploma programs?

Transfer is possible in compliance with the regulations of Higher Education Council. You can visit to see the regulations and quotas. 


8- What are the prerequisites to begin the dual diploma programs?

The medium of all dual diploma programs is English. To begin the dual diploma programs, students must meet the English requirements of the university where they enroll. TOEFL or IELTS is required to prove English proficiency before enrolling at a SUNY campus. Apart from English requirements, students must also meet cGPA (cumulative Grade Point Average) requirements.


9-What is the minimum TOEFL/IELTS score?

Each SUNY campus has its own admission requirements. Therefore, TOEFL and IELTS scores vary from one campus to another. Please visit ‘programs’ page to see the minimum scores by program.


10-What happens if I can’t achieve the minimum TOEFL/IELTS score? 

Students can take TOEFL/IELTS exams and begin from the 1st class in Turkish university if they get required scores. If they cannot be successful at getting the required score, they are to attend English preparation year in the Turkish university. Students are allowed up to 2 years to complete the preparatory program. 


11-What is the program cost? 

Payments are made in TL currency while studying at a Turkish university and in US Dollar while studying in the United States. To see the Turkish universities’ fees, please visit their website or contact us. To see the typical expenses for undergraduate students at a SUNY campus, please click here


12-Will I have to apply for a visa?

Yes. All students who will study in the United States are obliged to apply for F-1 visa.  Please visit the 'Current Students' page for more information on applying for a visa.


13-Where will I live while studying in the United States?

Generally first year students prefer to live on campus, but some SUNY campuses will allow you to live off campus during the first year. There are many dormitories to meet the accommodation requirements on campuses. Usually you will share your room with one or more students (same sex). Many campuses can offer single sex floors or suites, if you prefer. If you plan to live on campus, you should complete your housing application as early as possible to make sure you get the room of your choice.  


14-What kind of support will I receive while studying in the United States?

Every SUNY campus has an international student services office to provide support, and some even have a dual diploma program office, specifically to support the dual diploma students. They will help you from the moment you arrive on campus with an orientation to introduce you to the campus and academic life. During the orientation sessions you will register for classes, learn about campus life and maintaining your visa status, etc. 


15-What are the employment opportunities for the dual diploma graduates?


As of December 2017, SUNY dual diploma programs have had almost 2219 graduates. A majority of our alumni choose to pursue professional careers, while some decide to continue their education in graduate programs all around the globe. Currently, we have alumni working in national and international companies such as Erns & Young, Deloitte, IBM, Aselsan, as well as banks, universities and ministries. Students who complete their degree while in the US (fourth year) are generally eligible for OPT to jump start their careers. For more stories on our alumni, visit our 'Graduates' page.

16-What is Optional Practical Training (OPT) and how can I learn more about it?

Students who complete their degree while in the US (fourth year) are generally eligible for OPT. Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a benefit of F-1 immigration status that permits up to 12 months of off-campus employment for the purpose of gaining practical experience in the student's field of study after graduation. The job duties must be directly related to the student’s major area of study and commensurate with the student’s educational level. You can refer to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services' respective webpage to learn more about OPT.


17-Will studying in a dual diploma program help me get into a graduate program?


Being a dual diploma graduate will definitely help make you a much better candidate for graduate programs. The dual diploma programs, different from regular 4-year degree programs, have unique curricula which blends the strengths of both institutions, providing the students with a fundamental education. In addition, experiencing two different cultures as a student will broaden your perspective, which is an attractive quality to the admissions committees. It is possible for the dual diploma students to continue their graduate education at a SUNY institution, upon successfully completing the admission process. 

The State University Of New York Office in Turkey Büyükdere Cad. Kırgülü Sok. Metrocity D Blok Kat: 4 Levent İstanbul / TURKIYE 34330, T: +90 212 319 1838-39,
All rights reserved. © 2011
Web Design İNAJANS